You can’t beat colorful, healthy, and delicious spring rolls made fresh in your own kitchen. Did I mention they are also quick and fun to make? Play around with the recipe and add some of your favorite raw vegetables or try swapping the peanuts out for cashews.
Spring Roll Ingredients:
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 2 handfuls snow peas, thinly sliced the short way
- 1 package bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 – 2 ounces of rice sticks or rice vermicelli (really thin rice noodles)
- 1 tub of tofu, sliced into 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch pieces
- fresh basil
- 12 rice paper rounds
- Boil the rice noodles for 45 seconds – 1 minute, drain and chop well.
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, snow peas, bean sprouts, cilantro, peanuts and rice noodles.
- Using a large pie pan filled with water (or another container large enough to fit rice paper rounds), soak rice paper rounds for 30-40 seconds, until soft, but not falling apart.
- Place softened rice paper round on a plate. Place 1/12th of the vegetable mixture in the center. Make sure the bean sprouts and other veggies are running in the same direction to prevent difficulties during rolling.
- Place a slice or two of tofu on top of the veggies.
- Place a basil leaf on top of the tofu.
- Fold the left and right sides of the rice paper round over the vegetable mixture in the center.
- Fold the side of the rice paper nearest you over the vegetable mixture, gently tuck under the mixture and roll.
- Place on a dry plate until ready to serve.
Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/4 warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce, if you wish to keep it vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine all the dipping sauce ingredients.
- Separate into smaller individual sized dipping bowls or serve as is.