When you hear of an animal year, such as the year of the Earth Dog, the date is based on a sexagenary cycle and coincides with Spring. It is not the same as the Chinese New Year, which is a lunisolar calculation.
The Dog (Xu)
Attributes of the dog include:
- Loyal – The loyalty of a dog is unbreakable. A dog will be by your side in good times and in bad and knows what needs to be done.
- Loving – The love of a dog is boundless.
- Family oriented – Dogs are pack animals, they love being part of a human family and read signals from family members to assist in keeping balance and stability in the pack. (See Cesar Millan for more details on the signals we give our dogs and why they behave/misbehave.)
- Fierce and protective – As loving as a dog can be, they will draw a line and fight to their death to defend their family’s land and the ones they love.
- Intuitive – I can not count the number of stories I have heard about dogs waiting by the door, knowing their favorite owner would be home any moment, even before the car arrives in the driveway.
The Earth (Wu)
Attributes of the Earth include:
The Year of the Earth Dog is a great year to slow down, ground stressful nervous energy, and focus on things like healthy eating to avoid stomach and digestive issues. Find ways to relax such as practicing qigong, meditation, yoga, repetitive prayer, exercise, read a book, spend time with a favorite hobby or find an awesome new hobby.
For more information on Chinese cosmology and the sexagenary cycle visit MasterWu.net. He offers many books and educational courses on the topic.
To find a qigong teacher near you, visit the BeiDou Directory, listing the distinguished students of Master Wu.