A colorful and delicious noodle dish with swiss chard and carrots in a lentils sauce.
Makes 3-4 main dish servings or 6 sides.
Preparation time: 30-45 minutes
- 2 bundles of soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed
- 6-8 shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of swiss chard, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into discs
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a small sauce pan, cover lentils with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the lentil liquid into a measuring cup to use in another step.
- In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, lentils and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add swiss chard, mushrooms and 1 cup of lentil liquid. Cover and cook until chard is wilted.
- In a medium sauce pan, boil soba noodles for 2-3 minutes. They should be tender, but not soggy.
- In a large bowl, mix the noodles and the vegetable/ lentil mixture.
- Plate and top with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.