This is a quick and easy dish, perfect for weeknights or anytime you are looking for a healthy meal in a pinch. It also makes great leftovers for lunch the next day and is easy to reheat at work, using a microwave.
Note: Prepare all your vegetables first, to make sure you don’t contaminate them with raw chicken.
- 1 Skinless Chicken Breast, cut into medallions or cubes (how-to video)
- 1 cup Quick Barley
- 2 cups Water
- 8-10 Asparagus Spears, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large Carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch discs
- 1 package Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbl Sweet & Tangy Dipping Sauce (or a sweet & sour sauce of your choice)
- 4 Tbl Canola or Olive oil
- In a saucepot, bring the 2 cups of water to a boil, stir in the barley and allow to cook for 10 minutes, until tender. If it finishes before the rest of the meal, let it stand with the lid on to keep it warm.
- In a frying pan or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the chicken, cooking until it is tender with no pink.
- In a larger frying pan or skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add asparagus and carrots and let them cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook another 2-3 minutes, until everything is slightly tender.
- Add the cooked chicken and the Sweet & Tangy Sauce to the vegetable stir-fry.
- Place a scoop of barley on each plate and top with a portion of stir-fry mixture. Enjoy!