Makes: 4 – 6 servings
Preparation time: ~ 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35 – 45 minutes
Main course or server in smaller portions for appetizer
- 1.5 packages of spinach (~8 oz)
- 5 Crimean mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1/2 cup quality water
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized skilled (Make sure it is big enough to hold all the raw spinach.)
- Sauté the garlic.
- Add the barley and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the milk and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to allow the mixture to simmer. Stir every 5 minutes, cooking for approximately 30 minutes, until the barley absorbs most of the milk.
- Add water, spinach, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. Continue to cook until spinach decreases in size and the majority of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in white wine and half the Romana or Parmesan cheese and then cook down the remaining liquid.
- When the risotto is still slightly moist, it is done. Plate and top each dish with a bit more cheese.
Want to try something a bit different? Try adding one or more of the following:
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Swap out the spinach for Swiss chard